I have spoken about my travel wish list a few times on the blog and it got me to thinking about where I would like to travel in an ideal world during Christmas and December.
I wouldn’t say that I am that much of a cold weather fan but in the spirit of the Christmas these are the places where I would like to visit.
1) German Markets – I love a good market at the best of times, especially at Christmas time and the German Markets have been on my agenda for a long long time. Glühwein and gingerbread biscuits, houses etc. sounds perfect for Christmas and you might even get some snow.
2) Iceland – I would love to visit Iceland at any time of year but the snowy setting would be perfect in December to get you in the Christmas spirit. It would be amazing to seep in a glass Igloo and it would be even more perfect to visit and time it right to see the Northern lights although I know it is hard to guarantee a good time to see them.
3) Lapland – with my love of all things Christmas a trip to Lapland has to be on the list. I know that from the UK you can book a trip where you fly in for the day, visit Santa, ride in a sleigh and enjoy some hot chocolate in front of a roaring fire. How perfect would that be for the festive spirit.
4) New York – I would really like to visit New York around thanksgiving which happens to fall on or around my birthday. I would love to see the parades and all of the shops decorated for Christmas and it seems that all starts around my birthday. A trip to America including New York is on my wish list for my 40th birthday which is not too far away in the future!
5) Antartica – a friend from Darwin visited Antartica on a cruise over Christmas a few years ago and it is high up on my wish list. I would love to do a cruise through the region and just photograph all of the wildlife (including penguins which would be my dream come true) and landscapes. Unfortunately the trip would probably top $20,000 per person so it is a pipe dream at the moment!
If you could travel anywhere during the festive period where would it be?