I meal prep my own meals and then plan and cook meals for the Aussie each week. There are certain things which I buy week in week out.
Recently I have been putting together a proposed meal plan based upon my macros and then Felicity will review them and make suggestions which has been both fun and interesting because sometimes it feels like a real juggling act to get it right. I feel like I am learning so much about food and how all the macros interact to make sure I eat whole healthy foods and don’t get hungry.
Sometimes I hit my protein macros when I am planning but then find that I don’t have enough carbs or fat so then have to go back and adjust. It is not easy especially when you want variety so you don’t get bored of your meals.
- Green veggies – I can almost always guarantee that I will include green veggies including broccoli, green beans and peas in one or more of my meals each day because they really help fill me up. Also I generally don’t count them towards my calories. I used to buy everything fresh but as frozen vegetables are pretty good quality because they are snap frozen I now usually just buy the frozen green vegetables pack from Coles, they take a few minutes to cook and taste delicious.
- Alternative or as well as green veggies I will have a green salad made up of spinach, kale, lettuce, cucumber, celery and throw in some red onion as well.
- Protein (of course) – My protein choices vary between eggs, chicken, beef, pork, lamb, salmon and white fish. We like to mix it around so there is variety because I have the same meals for 7 days at a time. Protein is great because it helps reduce hunger and helps boost your metabolism.
- Carbs – For carbs we swap between oats, basmati rice, jasmine rice, quinoa, white potatoes and sweet potatoes. We have found that my body reacts pretty well to carbs and I enjoy eating all of those (especially oats for my breakfast!).
- Fats – we do not work on a low fat diet and I understand that this is actually not very helpful when you are trying to loose weight. My fats choices include olive oil, avocado, flaxseed oil, avocado oil. I have tended to lean towards avocado and olive oil but I am trying to mix in other oils.
- Others – we also include foods like peanut butter (yum with oats and chocolate protein powder), almond butter, tahini, sauerkraut, herbs and spices which are all delicious additions.
Leave a Reply