I’m flying to the UK to spend two whole weeks with my family, catch up with friends and attend one of my best friends weddings on 20th September. I am VERY excited! My mum and I text each other with the countdown most days now and currently there are just 13 sleeps!!!
I do love living with the Aussie in Darwin, especially now we have our own place but there are lots of things I miss about the UK and cannot wait to see/do/spend time with.
1) my family – I’m a big homebody and love just spending time with my mum, dad and brother at home chilling out so I cannot wait for 2 weeks with them. My brother is picking me up from Heathrow Airport so I’ve told him he needs to get practising so he can do this (also an excuse to share this video as I love it):
2) my dog Henry – I hate that I can’t spend time with Henry every day at the moment and feel very bad for him that he won’t understand why I’m not there. He’s a bit of a technophobe as well so there’s been many occasion where I’ve tried speaking to him on FaceTime and he’s literally turned his back on me! I’m looking forward to seeing him a lot
3) Tilley and Tess – these are my parents dogs and Henry’s partners in crime when they not making up their own crimes of course! These girls are such sweethearts and they actually interact with me on FaceTime (I swear Henry is afraid of technology) and I can’t wait to see them too.
4) my extended family – I keep in touch with them regularly via Facebook but I’m hoping to spend sometime with them when I’m home especially as I unfortunately missed my cousins wedding earlier in the year when everyone was together.
5) my friends – as I said above one of my best friends is getting married when I’m home and I’m very excited about her wedding as I’ll get to see her marry her lovely fiancée but also see our friends and her family too. I’m also doing a reading for her and am very proud to be a part of her day.
I also can’t wait to meet up with my old housemates from when I was at university in Bristol for a catch up and many work friends. There’s been a few babies born in the last year so I’m hoping to meet the little ones for cuddles at last.
Expat life is pretty cool but can also be pretty tough when you are so far away from some of the important people in your life. It just means the times we spend together are that little bit more special and you really value these times together.