September is done and we are now well into spring here in Brisbane and I cannot wait for the Jacaranda trees to bloom and to spend time out in the sunshine.
Below are a few of the things I loved.
The House with a Clock in its wall – this was very sweet film cast with Jack Black and Cate Blanchett would were perfect. The storyline is as simple as the title suggests but the film is filled with positive messages, quite cute “bad guys” and great acting. We managed to see the movie before it was actually released but we would definitely recommend giving it a go.
Live / Theatre & Shows
Brisbane Festival – the Aussie, Naomi and I had some tickets for the Brisbane Festival and we got to enjoy Bang! Bang!, En Masse and Seance. I really enjoyed the shows we saw / participated in but my favourite was definitely En Masse which was a production at QPAC which was created by Circa who are a Brisbane based performance company. The performers were exceptional, it was amazing what they could do with their bodies and just the trust they had in each other as they literally threw themselves at and from each other. I will definitely look out for their future tours.
Walkabout Creek Adventures – At the start of the month we had the Aussie’s sister to stay and spent the day at D’Aguiler National Park kayaking, playing on segways and enjoying being outside in nature. We bought tickets for Walkabout Creek Adventures on Groupon which gave us access to the kayaks, paddle boards, mountain bikes and segways for the day. We didn’t get through everything which was available but it is a place where we will get back and the Groupon discount helped a lot!
Glasshouse Mountains – we also visited the Glasshouse Mountains with the Aussie’s sister which included a lovely trip to beautiful and quaint Montville. Montville is full of historical buildings and lots of lovely little shops selling everything from ginger to cuckoo clocks. A day was not enough time and it is on the agenda for when we can get away for a few nights to explore.
It is Brisbane festival time again and me, the Aussie and Naomi have managed to pick up some cracking tickets for this week.
Initially we booked tickets to Seance on Saturday and then I saw that there was a deal where for $30 you would get 3 tickets to shows of the Festivals choice. You just had to choose which of the 3 weeks you wanted the tickets to apply too.
We chose this week and after booking our package, waited until 3 September for confirmation of what we were allocated and we were not disappointed!
On Tuesday we were allocated tickets to Bang! Bang! in The Courier-Mail Spiegeltent. The show featured Rhonda Burchmore and Rob Mills.
The show is a semi risqué show featuring singing, dancing and a touch of stripping and semi nudity.
The performances were great and had everyone singing along. The dancers girated and sashayed in some impress heels across the narrow stage and kept us very entertained.
I had been told by the Aussie that Rhonda was well known for her legs and those legs went on and on!
If you can get tickets then I would totally recommend it.
Another month over and August was a fun one!
1) The month started with a trip to the night Noodle Market at Southbank. The Aussie and I decided we needed a night walk in and around the City on the Friday night. We didn’t know what would be on at Southbank but there is usually something. The event was lovely and the area was bustling with stalls selling Asian food. I didn’t try anything but the Aussie was impressed and has hoped the market was back on when we’ve visited the area again on a Friday night.
2) I paid a trip to the Powerhouse with Naomi to watch Letters to Lindy which I talked about here. I really enjoy visiting the theatre at the Powerhouse is located in the beautiful New Farm area.
3) & 9) These photo was taken on my walk/runs around our local park just before the sun started setting. I love that we are so close to a park and with just a few laps of the park I can easily manage a good 3.5 or 5.5km walk/run.
4) The Glass House Mountains. On Ekka day we paid a visit to the beautiful Glasshouse Mountains. This photo was taken from one of the lookouts and still takes my breath away a bit. I love being in the great outdoors these days and feel lucky that within an hour or so we can be in this vista.
5) Colour Run – this was a fun morning for me and the Aussie which I am planning on writing about very soon!
6) P!nk! I still can’t believe that I got to go and see P!nk live in concert on her Beautiful Trauma tour! You can read about it here.
7) I understand from my Facebook friends that this bird is a Brown Falcon that landed on the balcony when we were staying on the Gold Coast. The bird stayed there for ages and let me get really close, hence the photo! We think it was watching something on the beach below as we also had a few different birds land on the balcony before diving off a few times later in the day.
8) This photo was taken at the start of the Bridge to Brisbane race (before the rain pummelled us!!). I wrote about the event here and am already looking forward to next years race which may be a 10km!