Firstly today is the Aussie’s Birthday so I want to wish him the happiest birthday! He’s not a big celebrator of Birthdays, but I will try and make sure he has a special day.
We are now well into December and the festive spirit is upon me! I have been thinking about the things I really want to try and do this Christmas and below are my top 10.
1) Watch the David Jones Christmas Parade and check out the Christmas decorations around Brisbane – I loved watching the Parade last year and have high expectations for this years. It is still weird watching people dressed as snowmen parade through the city in the middle of summer!
2) Sing Christmas Carols – we hope to track down a carols by candlelight type of event so we can sing some carols. I did say to Naomi that I love a good Christmas Carol and apparently I am known for that!!!
3) Go to Midnight Mass – my Mum and I have a plan to visit our favourite Garden Centre near their house during the day to look at the Christmas display on Christmas Eve and then spend the end of the day at Midnight Mass. I think it helps get you into the Christmas spirit perfectly and the service is usually lovely.
4) Track down the lights – there is a cul-de-sac in a town close to where my parents live where the whole street decorates their house in lights. They go to a lot of effort and the result is so pretty. I went there last time I was home at Christmas and I want to take the Aussie there as well. We hope to squeeze it in on Christmas Eve with the rest of my family.
5) Drink a festive drink – probably not an alcoholic one, although I do enjoy a Baileys or Snowball at this time of year. Maybe a festive Starbucks or Costa Coffee type drink if we get time.
6) Watch the Queens Speech of course! I love watching it every year and seeing what the Queen has to say. I’m also looking forward to some of the Christmas specials which will be shown although I may have no clue what is happening if the programs are not currently on in Australia as well.
7) Have a photo with Santa! Me, Naomi and the Aussie had a photo with Santa for the first time two years ago. Last year the Aussie declined to join us but I am working on getting him involved this year. It is a fun and silly tradition but we usually work it into a festive filled day and I enjoy that kind of day a lot. Also Naomi and the Aussie are very obliging in encouraging my festive spirit wholeheartedly!
8) Listen to my Christmas play list on repeat – I have my own rule that I won’t listen to any Christmas music which is safely stored on my phone until 1 December each year. I have a large play list which gets added to each year and I was itching to listen to the new music which was released for Christmas this year but managed to wait and now I am loving listening to the Christmas tunes. Of course the shops start playing Christmas music well before the start of December so I did get a mini fix of festive tunes.
9) Watch all the Christmas movies – this usually starts around my birthday and I’m hoping to make it through my faves by the end of Christmas which will be tricky as it is also going to be very busy! I have a few on my phone to watch so might sneak a couple in on the planes home. Here is a list of my favourite festive movies.
10) Cherish every moment with my family and friends in the UK – This is the most important one on the list. We are only in the UK but we will make the most of every moment, making memories and spending time with those all important people.